Manufacture of hand painted Buran Benjarong porcelain
Hand painted porcelains from Buran Benjarong are based on traditional Thai style paintings. Religious Buddhist beliefs and traditions have been deeply rooted in everyday life. The Buran Benjarong handmade porcelains use intricate designs on gorgeous porcelain bowls vases, etc. The production of the basic porcelain wares are by itself a very tedious and time consuming process. The hand painting done on these porcelain wares is a really slow process.
and requires a methodical procedure, this precious object is shaped from kaolin, feldspar, quartz and bone ashes, it is fired for over four hours. Once completed, these wares become coated with an enamel overglaze, a glaze made of burnt lime, wood ashes, and other natural materials that zealously guards.
Here is the method how to manufacture Buran Benjarong product.
1. Select white porcelain
Porcelain (bone China) that selected to be used must had been fired at the temperature between 1150-1280 degree Celsius. White ware must not have any defect. Once get all white ware needed. Thorough cleaning is necessary to avoid oily surface from sweated hand.
2. Line drawing on white ware surface
Line to be drawn from 12-18 karat gold paint.
There are two methods of drawing.
2.1 Draw line by hypodermic syringe and prepare as follow,
- Clean internal and external of selected 1 CC syringe with thinner about 2-3 times and leave it until dry.
- Size of syringe is varied from 25 to 27. If you want a fine thin line then use no. 27 and no. 25 will give a thick line.
- Once syringe is ready in hand then cut the sharp end tip off and have remaining part about 5-10 mm then rub the shaft edge off with sharpening stone or abrasive paper. Once finish, carry out external and internal cleaning by thinner again.
- Precaution to be taken when cutting the sharp end tip off by ensuring that the remaining part of syringe is not blocked by foreign material.
- Once everything ready. Re-assembly the syringe tightly and fill with gold paint up to half full of syringe then drawing can be performed .
2.2 Draw line by paint brush.
It is done by separate gold paint into a small glass bottle 1”x1” (fill 1-2 cc in the bottle). Drawing can be performed straight away by using a sharp end tip brush.
Specialized paint for Buran Benjarong product is required for paining purpose. Paint must be well crushed and mixed with water ratio of 1 paint and ? water. Ceramic or equivalent material mortar is used for crushing purpose. Watch for suitable ratio by not having too dry or too wet paint. This paint now ready for painting as require. They are several color of paint but mainly 5 colors are being used. Right color is used for painting in each part that was designed by the artist. Not allow to have too thick or too thin paint. If the paint too thick then it will not be completely fired and the color will not be as expected. Paint must not overlap any line or other color.
Once painting completed. Thorough inspection for any defect is again necessary. If no defect found then painted wares can now be put in the kiln. Leave the space between them 0.5-1cm. Precaution to be taken by no allow painted wares to touch each other and that would cause damaged paint after firing. Temperature in the kiln to be control between 765-780 degree Celsius and will take about 4 hours firing time. Once firing completed. Let it cool down for awhile and then a completed benjarong products are ready for taking off from the kiln.
Benjarong products from Buran Benjarong will last a life time. All you need is to protect them against breakage. The colors will not fade when exposed to daylight.